From the Editor's Desk
- After winter, came spring. Spring is the season of flowers, where buds bloom to their fullest beauty. At MES College of Engineering, Kuttippuram, our young budding engineers proved themselves to be at the centrestage, when they succeeded in bagging fifteen out of possible thirty-one University Ranks. That's a phenomenal achievement, judging by any standards. It convinces us the need to stick with our principle that bringing students closer to their academic pursuit should remain our sole aim, for which every one and every utility needs to be resourceful - in the true sense of the word.
Members of our faculty here have put in mammoth efforts and appear to have brought about the much required tempo to achieve success even as they engage in the process of producing knowledge utilising the student community. Yet, humble as we all are, there may be something amiss somewhere. We look upon your advise to perfect our aim. Sincerely.
The Editorial Board
Our University Rank Holders
|Sumin Mohanan (AEI)||Smriti S Nirmala (AEI)||Suja S (AEI)||Shabana Rasheed (Arch)||Neema (Arch)|
|Pooja Unnikrishnan (Arch)||Deepak M B (Arch)||Binu K P (Arch)||Soumya Augestine (Arch)||Jacob Mammen (ME)|
|Aneesh T Koshy (ME)||Aneesa Farhan (EEE)||Vibin Viswas (ECE)||Natesh P Sarma (ECE)||Reshmi R (IT)|
Student Achievements (Curricular)
- Mr. Adil Eshack, final year Mechanical Engineering student is selected by L&T Engineering Construction & Contract (ECC) for undergoing M.Tech. Programme in Construction Technology & Management at IIT, Madras with full sponsorship and stipend.
Student Achievements (Co-curricular)
- Young Women Engineers Meet : Ms. Ancy Mary Peter (S5 CSE) and Ms. Fincy Mohammed Yousuff (S5 IT) attended the 2 day program (SPARK) organized by Infosys on 7th & 8th March 2008 at Infosys Campus, Mysore.
Students' Association Activities
- Computer Sc & Engineering : MATRICS organised an animation workshop in Flash and Photoshop on 07 Feb 2008. On 22 Feb, MATRICS organised a Technical Quiz Competition. A Workshop on COMPUTER NETWORKING was conducted by Riyas A from Computer Network Cell.
- Management Science : Students' Association organised a one day National Conference (Praxis 08) on 25 March 08. Chief Guests for the programme were Mr K.P Balakrishnan IFS, Dr Anandakuttan B Unnithan (Asst Prof at IIM-Kozhikode) and Mr A.D Madhavan (Former General Manager KSIDC). Paper presentations were based on "New Horizons in Business Management" at the event.
Student Development Programme
- A course on "Introduction to VHDL" was conducted by Prof.Bobby Mathew C, Prof. Sindhu.CC and Mr. Anshad Mohammed of the Applied Electronics & Instrumentation Department.
- A one month value-added workshop for first year IT students "Introduction to Programming Environment in Free Software" was organised and conducted by Raghesh A, Lecturer in IT department during Mar-Apr 2008. Jineesh K, Research Programmer from IIIT Hyderabad gave a session on Language Computing at the Workshop.
Felicitating University Rank Holders :
| Our students bagged 15 University Ranks for the B Tech and B Arch 2006 courses. This is an increase from 11 ranks secured in the previous year. A felicitation ceremony was organised on 21st April 2008 to honour the winners. Prof P.O.J Lebba gave the welcome address.Our Chairman, Shri TP Imbichammad was the Chief Guest. |
The ceremony was the first to be organised after completion of the airconditioning work of the Main Auditorium which had a seating capacity of over 1500.
Sumin Mohanan (first rank), Smriti S. Nirmala (second rank), Suja S. (fourth rank), secured ranks for the branch of Applied Electronics and Instrumentation, while Shabana Rasheed (first rank), Neema (second rank), Pooja Unnikrishnan (third rank), Deepak M.B. (fourth rank), Soumya Augestine (fifth rank) and Binu K.P (fifth rank) together, swept all the ranks in the discipline of Architecture.
Jacob Mammen (second rank) and Aneesh T Koshy (fifth rank) won medals for the Mechanical Engineering Department, while Aneesa Farhan (third rank) won for the Electrical and Electronics Department. Vipin Viswas (third rank) and Natesh P Sarma (fifth rank) won for the Electronics and Communication Department, while Reshmi R (fifth rank) won for the Information Technology Department.
Jb KK Aboobackar, Working Chairman, Jb M Abdul Rahim, Treasurer, Dr KP Mohammed, Director, Dr VH Abdul Salam, Principal of our institution offered felicitations. Ms Femina VP from Applied Electronics & Instrumentation proposed the vote of thanks. The winners received citation medallion, cash prizes and were sent off after providing with a delicious lunch.
- Ms. Aneesa Farhan M A of 2006 EEE batch has scored 99.78% in GATE 2008.
- Mr. Prakash Nair, Lead Trainer & Head of Operations, Inter-Personal, Trivandrum conducted three courses in Personality Development for Professional Students during Feb-Mar 2008.
- Campus Recruitment :
- The HR Manager, Reliance Life Insurance visited the campus on 9th April 2008 and recruited 9 MBA Students.
- Infosys Technologies visited the campus on 18th & 19th April 2008 to recruit our 2009-graduating-batch students. 66 students were selected.
- M/s Cybernet-Slash Support, a Chennai based company visited the campus on 28th April 2008 to conduct a pooled campus recruitment program for 2008 batch students. 10 students were selected from our institution.
Students were sent to other colleges for off campus interview conducted by Subex, L - Cube, Agile Programmer Pvt. Ltd., Prodex Technologies, Poornam Infovision, HCL Technologies, Procsys and Havells. Students are short listed by the companies and list of students selected by the companies in the final interviews are awaited.
- "Learning-in-a-box" kits received from WIPRO were issued to 2008 batch Wipro Recruits.
- Prof. Mytheen Kutty, Co-ordinator, Training and Placement Cell attended "LEAP", a programme for placement officers, organised by Wipro at Hotel Carlton, Kodaikanal on 7th & 8th February 2008.
Student Achievements (Extra curricular)
- Mr. Sajeesh.V, student of S6 AEI won championship in weight lifting.
- Our Basketball team were the winners of the Private Engineering Colleges Basketball Tournament held at IES Engineering College, Thrissur.
Our Football team were the runners-up in All Kerala Engineering Colleges Football Tournament organised by TKM College of Engineering, Kollam in 11 March 2008.
Our Volleyball team were winners in Private Engineering Colleges Volleyball Tournament held at MET's College of Engineering, Mala on 04 March 2008.
The teams were coached by Shaheequth Ali KP, M.P.Ed of our institution, a versatile all-rounder, who has represented Calicut University Cricket Team in 2002-03 and the Kerala Football Team in 1992-93 (seen in the photographs with odd colors).
- Sangeetha N M, Instructor in IT, qualified to be an AMIE.
Faculty - Sponsored for higher studies
- Mrs. Renuka T K (EEE Department) secured admission to M Tech at GEC Thrissur.
- Mr. Shameer N (EEE Department) got selection for M Tech in Power Electronics and Drives at Anna University, Chennai under QIP 2008.
- Sobin CC (IT Department) got selection for M Tech in Computer Science & Engineering at IIT Madras under QIP 2008.
- P Karthikeyan received scholarship from IIM-Kozhikode to pursue doctoral research programme at Victoria University, New Zealand.
Faculty - New Appointment/Rejoining after Study Leave
- Mr. Binu K Baby joined as lecturer in EEE department.
- Mr. Sreejesh P rejoined Mechanical Engineering Department as Lecturer in April 2008 after successful completion of M.Tech programme from National Institute of Technology, Calicut.
- Phiros Mansur and Mr.Muhammed Mubarak of CSE Department rejoined after completion of their M Tech course in April 2008.
Faculty - Release
- Prof MA Chinnamma (Civil Engineering) and Ms Shehna VA, Lecturer in Civil Engineering left the institution on 30 April 2008.Shine Thomas (CSE Department) left the institution on 03 March 2008.
Faculty - Special Achievement
|Dr Gylson Thomas, Prof and HoD |
of Electrical and Electronics Engineering
was felicitated on acquiring PhD from
National Institute of Technology, Calicut.
- Mr Biju M.K (Lecturer in MBA) received Gold medal from Vice President of India for standing first ni PG Diploma in Operations Management from IGNOU.
Faculty Development Programmes
- Mr Jaffer Ali And Mr Sherikh, lecturers of CSE Department, went for two week "Faculty Enablement Program" organised by Infosys.
- A Staff training programme on "DSP Controllers" was conducted for faculty members of ECE Department by Cranes International Ltd.
- Ms Jyothi P.T attended a three week Faculty Development Programme on "Induction Programme for Young Management Teachers" at IIM-Kozhikode during 10-29 March 2008.
Faculty participation in Conferences/Seminars
- Prof TV George, HoD (Civil Engineering) attended a National Seminar on "Environment Management in Infrastructure Projects and Chemical Industries" organised by the Institution of Engineers (India) at Kochi on 22 and 23 February 2008.
- Biju N (Lecturer ECE Department) presented a paper on "Flexy Ray Next Generation Automotive Network" which received the best paper award in the 5th National Conference for Research Scholars on "Application of Emerging Technologies" during 24,25 March 2008 at Adhyammam College of Engineering, Hosur.
- Mrs. Rehna N (EEE Department) attended a workshop on “Advancements in Nonlinear Control Systems” at CET, from 3rd March to 6th March organized by Dept. of ECE.
- Mrs. Haseena H (EEE Department) attended two weeks STTP on “System &Simulation held at GEC, Thrissur from 20th Feb to 4th March 08.
- Dr. Gylson Thomas (EEE Department) attended two day workshop on “Video Processing” conducted by New Horizon College of Engineering Bangalore.
- Mr Sivakumar B, Lecturer in Civil Engineering and the NSS Programme Officer of our institution attended the state-level "Annual Meet and Award Presentation" of NSS held at Thrissur on 23 February 2008. Mr Sivakumar B also attended the NSS Programme Officers' Conference held at Govt Youth Hostel, Kakkanad on 08 and 09 April 2008.
- Prof Anil K Jacob attended a short term course on Soft Computing and Control at Govt Engineering College,Wynad from 27/2/2008 to 11/3/2008.
- Prof Saji Kuriakose (Head, MBA Department) presented a paper on "Rural Marketing" at the International Conference held at Kannur Unviersity during 09,10 March 2008. Mr Biju M.K and Mr Issac George (Lecturers, MBA Department) presented a paper on "Logistics Management in Marketing" at the same conference.
Faculty Achievements :
- Mridula T V, Archana S, Sobin C C and Rekha M K secured GATE scores in discipline of Information Technology.
- Mrs. Thasneem Fathima N K secured GATE score in discipline of Electrical & Electronics.
- Saheer H, Systems Manager secured GATE score in discipline of Computer Science & Engineering.
- Prof. Mohammed Badeeuzzaman, HOD,AEI presented a paper- "Small steps amounts to leap frog: Role of deprived in the educational scenario of Kerala" on 8th April 2008 at IRISH research centre of Kannur University.
Invited Faculty Sessions
- Vice Principal Prof P V Abdul Hameed represented our institution at the "Meeting of Principals" convened by the Controller of Examinations, University of Calicut on 03 June 2008 which discussed the modalities of "On-line Registrations" for the S8 B Tech Examinations.
- Prof. C.P Muhammad, Head (Mechanical Engineering) attended a workshop on ‘Technoprenuer’ at Calicut on 10th March 2008 and held discussions with Dr.A.S.Rao, Advisor to DSIR, Govt.Of India regarding funding for research projects from DSIR.
- Raghesh A and Badharudeen P, lecturers in Information Technology introduced practical sessions on "Programming with Python and C in GNU/Linux" at Centre of Excellence, IIM-Kozhikode.
- CK Raju, Asst Prof in IT Department gave a talk on "Kerala's IT Policy" inaugurating the Computer Science Association at Unity Women's College, Manjeri in February 2008. A session on "Philosophy and Practise of Free Software" was delivered at Centre of Excellence, IIM-Kozhikode in April 2008.
- Prof. Noushad V M of AEI Department was a leading resource person for the course-"A Workshop on MATLAB" at Jyothi Engg. College, Cheruthuruthi.
- Mr.Anshad Mohammed of AEI Department was invited as chief guest for the Electronics Dept. Association
inauguration at H.M College of Arts and Science, Manjeri, and gave a technical talk on VHDL.
- Prof K P Balachandran of MCA Department participated in a National Seminar on “Data Mining” as a resource person, at Mariyan College, Kuttikanam on 25 March 2008.
Community Development Programmes
- Two day program in career guidance, for school students of Government Higher Secondary School, Kuttippuram was organized by WIE MESCE (part of student branch of IEEE), on 15th and 16th of February 2008 under Community Development Scheme of WIE. Vice Principal Prof PV Abdul Hameed inaugurated the event. Prof Haseena (EEE), Mr Biju N, (Lecturer, ECE) and Mr Firoz (Instructor, ECE) coordinated the event. Shalima K S, Sumi K, Gayathri T N, Shiny P, Saliha K Hassan, Safreena N (all from S6 ECE), Fincy Youseff, Karishma Shaji and Naseera Rahmathilahi (all from S6 IT) handled the classes for the 11th Standard Students (Science stream).
Institutional Innovative Practices
- MES College of Engineering is having a campus wide network with a backbone connectivity of 1 Gbps.
The department of Management science is Wi-Fi enabled which allows mobility to their students and
staff. All activities including Academic/Non Academic/Accounts/HRMS/Library etc are automated. The details of any student can be accessed from any teacher node in the campus. The performance of the
students can be assessed by the parents through the web. A leased line Internet connection having 2
Mbps Bandwidth is being catered across the campus wide network. Internet facility is available for 24 hrs. Mr Saheer H. is the Systems Manager at the Campus Network Cell.
- A new shuttle badminton court was constructed inside the C-Block by the Physical Education Department.
- An internal auditors' training programme was organised within our institution in March 2008. Every department sponsored two lecturers for the training programme to augment the strength of internal ISO auditors of our institution.
- Dr KT Jaleel, MLA and Syndicate Member of University of Calicut (University of Calicuty nominee) and Prof KV Leela (Government nominee), who were part of the team constituted by Government of Kerala, inspected the facilities and resources of our institution on 15th March 2008, for the purpose of admitting Foreign Students as approved by the AICTE.
New Procurement :
- 100 ton Universal Testing Machine supplied by M/s Bluestar Ltd has been erected and successfully commissioned. The facility is expected to add a new dimension to our Consultancy Services (Civil Engineering) in testing various Construction Materials.
Visit of Dignitaries :
- The images here were taken during the visit of Dr Anwar Jahan Zuberi, Vice Chancellor of University of Calicut to our institution. At the end of the courtesy visit, she held discussions with the management members of our institution.
Resource in focus :
|The Central Library of our institution is one of the largest of its kind in the State. There are a total of 45076 books, 18035 titles, 380 Journals and 224 e-Journals. There are also 1210 e-Books, 3678 Back Volume Journals and 2603 Reports.There are 3120 CD-ROMs and 128 DVDs available for issue.
The institution has membership in the INDEST-AICTE Consortium, INSDAG, IEEE, ASME, DELNET and The Institution of Engineers(india).The library services provided include Digital Library, Books on loan, Reference Section and resources include Periodicals, Back Volume Journals, Project Reports, Seminar Reports, Thesis etc.
Other services include access to resources on CD-ROMs, Delnet Network, Inter-Library Loan facility, Current Awareness Service, Reprographic Service. Central library also extends services to the independant Department Libraries.
Our librarian is Mr Faisal Muneer K, M.A, M Lib. Sc.